- R-Car Starter Kit Pro
- R-Car Starter Kit Premier
- R-Car Starter Kit Pro(M3N)
- Gen2 ADAS boards:
- Gen3 ADAS boards (common instructions):
- Gen3 Connected Boards:
This is starting page for Embedded Linux on Renesas R-Car family of automotive embedded SoCs. Main goal is to make information on R-Car SoCs friendly, easy to access for embedded developers, enthusiasts. It does not aim to replace official Renesas support.
Links below could be used to get familiar with Renesas Automotive SoCs and R-Car Concortia:
- Renesas Automotive Products / Solutions
- Renesas Car Information Terminal Applications
- R-Car Consortium
Detailed information regarding R-Car SoCs (including roadmap, technical and marketing documents, BSPs and middleware) can be obtained directly from Renesas representative.
|Generation 1||Generation 2||Generation 3|
|"H" - High End||H1 - R8A7779||H2 - R8A7790||H3 ES1.x - R8A77950 (or R8J77950)|
H3 ES2.0+ - R8A77951 (or R8J77951)
|"M" - Mid Range||M1A - R8A7778||M2-W - R8A7791
M2-N - R8A7793
|M3-W - R8A77960|
M3-W+ - R8A77961
M3-N - R8A77965
|"E" - Entry||E1||E2 - R8A7794||E3 - R8A77990|
|"D" - Dashboard||D3 - R8A77995|
|"V" - Vision||V2H - R8A7792||V3M - R8A77970|
V3H - R8A77980
The R-Car devices pages lists the peripheral devices available in the R-Car SoCs along with usage information and test procedures.
|Standard||Low Cost Boards (LCB)|
|Standard||Low Cost Boards (LCB)|
ADAS Starter Kit (Stout)
ADAS Surround View Kit
|Standard||Low Cost Boards (LCB)|
|R-Car Starter Kit Premier|
|R-Car Starter Kit Pro|
|R-Car Starter Kit Pro(M3N)|
|R-Car V3M||Eagle||Starter Kit|
|R-Car V3H||Condor||Starter Kit|
Renesas mainline R-Car Linux tree is maintained by Geert Uytterhoeven
Start here to get latest/closest upstream kernel: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geert/renesas-devel.git
e.g. pull development branch: git clone -b devel git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geert/renesas-devel.git
- Current development version
- Based on latest upstream point or rc release
- Includes patches queued up for the forthcoming kernel release (or later)
- Includes 'topic/renesas-defconfig'
- Patches queued up for the forthcoming kernel release
- This is included in linux-next and complies with its rules
- It is a feeder for submissions (pull requests) to the ARM-SoC maintainers
- It is generally based on the latest rc1 release but may be based on a later rc release in order to provide a working kernel for ARM (32-bit) and ARM64 based Renesas SoCs.
- Individual patch-queues for the ARM-SoC maintainers as per their requirements for patches to be broken out into branches
- Patches are targeted at kernel version X.Y
- Merged into next
- Sample defconfig file for Renesas R-Car Gen3 and RZ/G2 boards
- Not intended for upstream merge
- Branches for specific new features
- Pushed when the features are under review of otherwise not queued up for submission to the ARM-SoC maintainers
- Temporary branches typically for testing purposes
Hardware Support Status (Incomplete)
- Merging MMC block requests by using IOMMU
- How to use MMC block device as rootfs on v5.10-rc1?
- Use GPIO for SD card detection
- Change probing timing of USB 2.0 function driver on Salvator-XS from v5.13-rc1
- Default CPUFreq governor from v5.9
- xhci-rcar driver waits for firmware loading in kernel booting when using defconfig
- Debugging kernel options causes performance down
- How to describe device tree for R-Car Gen3 USB2.0 DRD channel
- Mailing list - via kernel.org linux-renesas-soc Majordomo.
LTSI (Long Term Support Initiative)
Renesas SoCs and boards are supported as part of LTSI project - https://ltsi.linuxfoundation.org/ .For all LTSI kernel releases, refer to https://ltsi.linuxfoundation.org/software/releases.
Renesas R-Car Gen 2 BSP Tree
Renesas R-Car Gen 2 BSP Tree located at: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/horms/renesas-backport.git. Check out the latest R-Car Gen 2 BSP release tag.
for example: rcar-gen2/v1.9.7
Renesas R-Car Gen 3 BSP Tree
Renesas R-Car Gen 3 BSP Tree located at: https://github.com/renesas-rcar/linux-bsp.git. Check out the latest R-Car Gen 3 BSP release tag.
for example: rcar-3.9.2
NOTE: The git repo at git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/horms/renesas-bsp.git become outdated from Oct 2019.
For Gen3 see U-Boot-Gen3.
R-Car U-Boot mainline development is done using email@example.com:u-boot/custodians/u-boot-sh.git tree. It is maintained by Nobuhiro Iwamatsu.
e.g. pull renesas/bsp/rcar-gen2-1.8.0 branch and build U-Boot for Lager/Koelsch/Alt boards git clone -b renesas/bsp/rcar-gen2-1.8.0 firstname.lastname@example.org:u-boot/custodians/u-boot-sh.git
make O=/tmp/build clean make O=/tmp/build mrproper make O=/tmp/build gose_config make O=/tmp/build all
- For Gen3, see Yocto-Gen3
- Community BSP following official Yocto Project versions
- Refer to README.md for release policy and build instructions.
To integrate evaluation version of proprietary graphics and multimedia drivers from Renesas, refer to README.evaproprietary.md.
Repository location: https://github.com/renesas-rcar/meta-renesas.git
|Yocto Project (YP) releases||Branch name||Tag name||For build instructions, refer to|
|YP 2.5 (codename: sumo)||sumo-dev||sumo-Yocto-v3.15.0||README.md and README.evaproprietary.md|
|YP 2.6 (codename: thud)||thud-dev||thud-Yocto-v3.21.0||README.md and README.evaproprietary.md|
|YP 2.7 (codename: warrior)||warrior-dev||warrior-Yocto-v3.19.0||README.md and README.evaproprietary.md|
|YP 3.0 (codename: zeus)||zeus-dev||zeus-Yocto-v3.21.0||README.md and README.evaproprietary.md|
- Renesas Yocto/Poky distribution
- Renesas Yocto/Poky distribution is maintained by Takamitsu Honda.
To get started with Yocto on R-Car Gen2 platform - pull git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-renesas tree
If you pulled complete Yocto/poky trees, you should be able to kick-off a build using the 'oe-init-build-env' script in Poky.
Update bblayers.conf by adding the meta-renesas and meta-rcar-gen2 layer. e.g.:
BBLAYERS ?= " \ <path to layer>/poky/meta \ <path to layer>/poky/meta-yocto \ <path to layer>/poky/meta-yocto-bsp \ <path to layer>/meta-renesas \ <path to layer>/meta-renesas/meta-rcar-gen2 \ "
To build a specific target BSP configure the associated machine in local.conf:
MACHINE ?= "<supported board name>" (lager, koelsch, gose, alt)
Build the target file system image using bitbake:
$ bitbake core-image-minimal
R-Car Automotive Grade Linux
Automotive Grade Linux(TM) (AGL: https://www.automotivelinux.org/ ) is a Linux Foundation Workgroup dedicated to creating open source software solutions for automotive applications. AGL is based on Yocto project for its construction.
- To start an AGL distribution on R-Car Porter board, please check this page.
- To start an AGL distribution on R-Car Starter Kit(s), please check this page and AGL documentation here.
GENIVI® is a nonprofit industry alliance committed to driving the broad adoption of specified, open source, In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) software. Source: https://www.genivi.org/
As a service to the community Renesas maintains a git repository containing a R-Car Yocto BSP with the changes required for the standard Yocto BSP to work with the Genivi Yocto Baseline and Genivi Development Platform (GDP) already integrated. It is supported on a best effort basis.
You can find more information about building the Genivi Yocto Baseline for various Genivi versions in the Alliance pages for meta-ivi here. Information on building GDP Master for the Renesas R-Car SoCs can be found here.
TBD Renesas R-Car Tizen is already available via tizen.org trees. Add detailed instructions how to get started with Tizen for R-Car
- For Gen3 Cortex R7 support, see :
|Supported board||Zephyr Version||BSP Release date|
|H3ULCB||2.7 LTS [New!!]||2021/10/22|
- Since v2.6, Renesas R-Car H3ULCB is supported by the Zephyr project.
- Although the plan is to have the best support for R-Car Gen3 in Zephyr mainline. Using a downstream repository is still required for using drivers that have not been submitted yet to Zephyr upstream.
R-Car Emotion Recognition Engine SDK
R-Car Connected Car SDK
Ubuntu on R-Car
Kubernetes(k8s) on R-Car
LAVA testing with R-Car