Tim Bird is a Linux developer working for Sony Corporation.
Tim is Chair of the Architecture Group of the Core Embedded Linux Project of the Linux Foundation (formerly the CE Linux Forum). In the past, Tim worked at Lineo, Caldera, and Novell. Tim was the Chief Technical Officer of Lineo, an early pioneer in the Embedded Linux industry.
Tim has worked with Linux for over 25 years (since 1993). In his career at Sony and in work at the Linux Foundation, Tim has worked on reducing Linux system size, on reducing boot time for the Linux kernel, and on initiatives to help companies upstream their kernel development work and participate in the Linux community. He is currently the maintainer of the Fuego, and is involved in efforts to promote standards for Automated Testing of open source systems. He has given numerous talks and keynotes at Linux conferences, and created the Embedded Linux Conference and Automated Testing Summit.
Current contact information
You can contact Tim at the following address, which has been made spam-resistant:
- e-mail: tim (dot) bird (at) sony (dot) com.
See Tim Bird's Presentations for a list of presentations given by Tim Bird over the years.
Bookmarks for things I'm working on in this wiki
This list is roughly in chronological order (most recent at top)
- Categorized Videos Proposal - some musings on a set of pages with links to talks organized by topic
- Tims Board Farm - notes on my own board farm and board management issues
- Tips for ELC presentation proposals - My own tips to write a good talk abstract
- Board Farm - ideas for standards for Board Farm management software for Linux
- ELC Game Ideas
- Graphics Systems for Embedded Linux - list of alternative graphics systems for embedded Linux projects
- Tim's Kernel Issue List - List of things that need to be fixed or worked on in the kernel
- Fuego - LTSI test framework
- CE Workgroup Device Mainlining Project - information, task lists, links to phone source diffs, etc for this CEWG project
- Drone Demo 2015 - Notes on a possible drone demo for ELC 2015
- Kernel Size Reduction Work - renewed effort to minimize the Linux kernel size
- Internet of Things Notes - resources on IOT
- Kernel Mainlining - resources to help companies overcome obstacles to getting their developers involved in upstreaming kernel patches
- Embedded linux status - list of things for embedded linux status reports (which I do frequently)
- Best of Embedded Linux - list of smallest, fastest, etc. embedded products using Linux
- NFC driver notes - some notes about NFC drivers, chipsets, technologies, etc.
- Used for determining if shared work can be done on the NXP PN544 driver in the Linux kernel
- Kernel 3.4 to 3.10 porting guide - tips for porting items from version 3.4 to 3.10 of the Linux kernel
- System Size Auto-Reduction - presentation for LCJ 2013 - wrapping up my auto-reduce work
- Crash handler - A crash handler implementation for ARM embedded Linux
- Tim's Tips and Tricks - Miscelaneous development tips gleaned over the years
- Android Boot-time Readahead - Some research on using the Linux read-ahead system call to decrease Android cold boot time
- Ftrace - with my knowledge of ftrace, this page really needs a fixup
- elinux issues - list of things that need fixing
- Embedded Wiki wanted features
- Kernel Timer Systems - needs a major overhaul to bring it up to date
- Reasons to participate in open source - my own thoughts on open source contributions
- Beginning Programming - some links to resources for beginning programmers
Pages needing LOTS of HELP!!
Here are some high priority candidates for work...
Samples and help
- See Table Examples
Areas of interest
Here are some things Tim is interested in on this site:
- Japan Jamboree 2020 schedule:
- Jamboree 72: March 6
- Jamboree 73: June 5
- Jamboree 74: September 18
- Jamboree 75: Dec 20
- Other wikis - a list of other wikis to examine the design of
- Good article on US case law related to closed-source kernel modules
Things I want to add to the wiki
- review each portal page and try to hook up material I know is orphaned
Free software encircles embedded design Warren Web, EDN 8/7/2008
Videos, Articles, Presentations of, by or about me
- http://youtu.be/gab6EMyUMQM - JJ48, May 2014 - Paradox of Open Source and Embedded
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cLPD8CZuOk - ELC Europe 2013, November, 2014 - Status of Embedded Linux presentation
- http://video.linuxfoundation.org/video/1654 - JLS 2009 - Status of Embedded Linux presentation
- http://www.vimeo.com/8042326 - Measuring Function Duration with Ftrace