Difference between revisions of "Buildroot:Python2Packages"
|Line 36:||Line 36:|
* '''canfestival''': uses its script objdictgen as part of the build process. The whole code base is still syntactically Python3 incompatible.
* '''canfestival''': uses its script objdictgen as part of the build process. The whole code base is still syntactically Python3 incompatible. A patch to remove the package is now available.<ref>https://email@example.com/</ref>
A patch to remove the package is now available.<ref>https://firstname.lastname@example.org/</ref>
Revision as of 10:08, 13 October 2021
In an effort to follow the Python2 deprecation on the 1st of January 2020, here is a listing of current Buildroot packages that depend on Python2 (as of master during the [developer days at FOSDEM 2020])
Non Python packages
These packages integrate with Python2: either they contain scripts written in Python, or they install Python libraries as byproducts.
- alsa-lib (install Python module with option BR2_PACKAGE_ALSA_LIB_PYTHON): To be tested
crudini:currently in v0.9, can be bumped to 0.9.3 which adds py3 support. Patch series pending: https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/?series=156917DONE ! dstat: currently in v0.7.3, can be bumped to v0.7.4 which adds py3 supportDONE! fail2ban: at a first glance, does not seem to support Python3 !Support was added in commit 2d666026385573286371a0f5d9f4b5e0d80f723b
- gdb: seems to be compatible with both Python 2 and 3, but not sure since which version
gnuradio: currently in v126.96.36.199, can be bumped to v3.8+ which supports Python 3. Work can resume from these patches: http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1158469/ and http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1158470/ New series under review: https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/?series=153798 (+ 1 patch that got lost alone: https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1224753/)DONE!
- jailhouse: no clear indication, but there are some signs towards Python 3 support (https://github.com/siemens/jailhouse/blob/master/pyjailhouse/extendedenum.py#L12-L21)
Kodi: Upstream announces an ongoing effort to move to Python3 in the upcoming v19: https://kodi.wiki/view/Migration_to_Python_3. Only Python2 for now !DONE!
- libdnet: latest release v1.11 dates back from 2005, and only talks about Py2.3 or 2.4. There is most probably no Python3 support, because the latter was released in 2008
- nmap: the ndiff utility is still tied to Python2, syntactically incompatible with Python3. There is a pull request to replace ndiff with pyndiff
- pcm-tools: the pmu-query script is still tied to Python2, syntactically incompatible with Python3
supervisor: currently in v3.1.4, support for Python3 was added in v4.0.0 (https://github.com/Supervisor/supervisor/blob/master/CHANGES.rst#400-2019-04-05)DONE! gstreamer1/gst1-validate: Patch for Python3 sent http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1185306/DONE!
(TBD) These packages are Python libraries that can then be imported by Python scripts
Python in the build system
These packages use Python in their build process, hence requiring host-python (or host-python3). We aim at removing dependencies on host-python(2) where possible, and therefore remove conditionals such as illustrated below. This should instead unconditionnally depend on host-python3 now:
ifeq ($(BR2_PACKAGE_PYTHON) FOO_DEPENDENCIES += host-python else FOO_DEPENDENCIES += host-python3 endif
At the moment, the following packages reference host-python(2). In the following list, the packages that are underlined have been migrated and tested with only host-python3 by Titouan. This will be posted soon in a series to the mailing list.
- canfestival: uses its script objdictgen as part of the build process. The whole code base is still syntactically Python3 incompatible. A patch to remove the package is now available.
- nodejs: the "active" version (12.x.y) does explicitly only support Python2 at the moment. The "current" version (14.x.y) can be built with Python3. 14.x.y is expected to become the "active" version on the 2020-10-20 , so we can drop host-python(2) support at that time. There is now a pending pull request to bump nodejs to 14.17.6!
- spidermonkey: Removed! Spidermonkey was only used for Polkit which now used duktape as the backend.
- wpewebkit There is a pending pull request to replace host-python with host-python3. wpewebkit compiles without issue with host-python3
- xcb-proto, host-xcb-proto
The waf-package infrastructure has been fully migrated to host-python3
All packages using SCons (no dedicated infrastructure) have been migrated to host-python3