This is the Wiki for the Renesas R-Car Starter Kit Premier board (RTP0RC7795SKB00010S). Refer to the R-Car page for information about Renesas' R-Car SoC family.
H3SK has two kinds of boards
Type name: RTP0RC7795SKBX0010SA00
Type name: RTP0RC77951SKBX010SA00 (LPDDR4: DDR 4GiB(Samsung 1GB x4), eMMC 8GB) Type name: RTP0RC77951SKBX010SA01 (LPDDR4: DDR 4GiB(Micron 1GB x4), eMMC 8GB) Type name: RTP0RC77951SKBX010SA03 (LPDDR4: DDR 8GiB(Samsung 2GB x4), eMMC 32GB)
- R-CAR H3
- ARM CA57 (ARMv8) 1.5 GHz quad core, with NEON/VFPv4, L1$ I/D 48K/32K, L2$ 2MB
- ARM CA53 (ARMv8) 1.2 GHz quad core, with NEON/VFPv4, L1$ I/D 32K/32K, L2$ 512K
- Memory controller for LPDDR4-3200 4GB in 2 channels, each 64-bit wide
- Two- and three-dimensional graphics engines,
- Video processing units,
- 3 channels Display Output,
- 6 channels Video Input,
- SD card host interface,
- USB3.0 and USB2.0 interfaces,
- CAN interfaces
- Ethernet AVB
- PCI Express Interfaces
- INTERNAL 384KB SYSTEM RAM
- DDR 4 GB LPDDR4
- HYPERFLASH 64 MB HYPER FLASH (512 MBITS, 160 MHZ, 320 MBYTES/S)
- QSPI FLASH 16MB QSPI (128 MBITS,80 MHZ,80 MBYTES/S)1 HEADER QSPI MODULE
- EMMC 8 GB EMMC (HS400 240 MBYTES/S)
- MICROSD-CARD SLOT (SDR104 100 MBYTES/S)
- CN1 COM Express type connector 440pin
- CN2 QSPI Flash module
- CN3 DEBUG JTAG
- CN4 HDMI
- CN5 USB 2.0
- CN6 Push-Pull microSD Card Socket
- CN7 Ethernet, Connector, RJ45
- CN8 LINE Out
- CN9 MIC Input
- CN10 DEBUG SERIAL (not populated)
- CN11 CPLD Programming JTAG
- CN12 DEBUG SERIAL (serial)
- CN13 Main Power Supply input (5VDC)
- CN14 CPU Fan
- SW1 Hyper Flash
- SW2 Software Readable DIPSWITCHES (4x)
- SW3 Software Readable Push button
- SW4 Software Readable Push button
- SW5 Software Readable Push button
- SW6 Mode Settings
- SW7 CPLD Reset
- SW8 Power
- SW9 Reset
- Board specifications
- Dimensions: 95mm × 95mm
- Board thickness: 1.6mm
- External power supply 5V / 6A max, Ripple & Noise (Vp-p) Full load 200mV
- T opr Operating ambient temperature 0°C to 40°C Do not expose to condensation
- Vcc 5V system power supply voltage (range 5V +- 5%)
- I board Maximum current consumption 6A , 40W
Where to buy
R-Car Starter Kit Premier(WS2.0) board can be ordered from following distributors:
Click to buy R-Car Starter Kit Premier board from AVNET - World wide
Click to by R-Car Starter Kit Premier board from FUTURE - World wide
Click to buy R-Car Starter Kit Premier board from Marutsu-elec - Japan Only - Not available
Click to by R-Car Starter Kit Premier board from chip1stop - Japan Only
Click to buy R-Car Starter Kit Premier board from Digi-key - U.S only
R-Car H3 SoC Documentation
Official board documentation
- Hardware Manual
- Schematic(H3 ver1.1 & M3 ver1.0)
- Schematic(H3 ver2.0)
- BOM list(H3 ver1.1 & M3 ver1.0)
- BOM list(H3 ver2.0)
- Assembly drawing
- CoM Express Interfaces
Kingfisher (R-Car Starter Kit extension board)
Instruction of using H3SK with the Kingfisher board located here http://elinux.org/R-Car/Boards/Kingfisher
Quick Start How To
This sections describes steps that are necessary to run a "Hello, World!" application using Yocto build. Both X11 and Wayland are supported.
Build Yocto image
Refer to Yocto for steps necessary for making a Yocto image.
Connect 5 V power supply to the board
Use 5 V power supply with a 5.5 mm barrel plug. The power supply should be able to provide 4(Min) ~ 8(Max)Amps.
- The recommended value is 8 Amps. But, user can use 4 Amps. and 6 Amps. (depends on the use case).
Connect to serial console
Use a microUSB cable to connect the PC to R-Car Starter Kit Premier (H3ULCB) board. CN12 ("CPLD/DEBUG") must be used on Starter Kit side. It is routed to SCIF2 in the R-Car H3 via a FT232 interface converter chip.
On Linux, FT232 driver is included with kernel versions >=2.6.12. Windows driver and sources can be found on FTDI Chip website.
Serial settings are 115200 8N1. Any standard terminal emulator program can be used.
sudo picocom -b 115200 DEVICE
replace DEVICE with the proper tty device name, for example /dev/ttyUSB0. Running dmesg | tail can help locating proper device. After the successful connection, picocom should display:
port is : /dev/ttyUSB0 flowcontrol : none baudrate is : 115200 parity is : none databits are : 8 escape is : C-a local echo is : no noinit is : no noreset is : no nolock is : no send_cmd is : sz -vv receive_cmd is : rz -vv imap is : omap is : emap is : crcrlf,delbs,
Use Ctrl+A, Ctrl+Q to exit picocom.
sudo minicom -b 115200 -D DEVICE
replace DEVICE with the proper tty device name, for example /dev/ttyUSB0. Running dmesg | tail can help locating proper device. After the successful connection, minicom should display:
Welcome to minicom 2.6.2
OPTIONS: I18n Compiled on Aug 7 2013, 13:32:48. Port /dev/ttyUSB0
Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys
Use Ctrl+A, Q to exit minicom.
Power on the board and go to U-Boot prompt
Short-press SW8 "Power" to switch the board on. Then you should see the following output in the terminal:
Welcome to minicom 2.7
OPTIONS: I18n Compiled on Jan 1 2014, 17:13:19. Port /dev/ttyUSB0, 18:31:48
Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys
NOTICE: BL2: R-Car Gen3 Initial Program Loader(CA57) Rev.1.0.9 NOTICE: BL2: PRR is R-Car H3 ES1.1 NOTICE: BL2: Boot device is HyperFlash(80MHz) NOTICE: BL2: LCM state is CM NOTICE: BL2: AVS setting succeeded. DVFS_SetVID=0x52 NOTICE: BL2: DDR1600(rev.0.10) NOTICE: BL2: DRAM Split is 4ch NOTICE: BL2: QoS is default setting(rev.0.32) NOTICE: BL2: Lossy Decomp areas NOTICE: Entry 0: DCMPAREACRAx:0x80000540 DCMPAREACRBx:0x570 NOTICE: Entry 1: DCMPAREACRAx:0x40000000 DCMPAREACRBx:0x0 NOTICE: Entry 2: DCMPAREACRAx:0x20000000 DCMPAREACRBx:0x0 NOTICE: BL2: v1.1(release):3ad02ac NOTICE: BL2: Built : 13:03:52, Sep 20 2016 NOTICE: BL2: Normal boot NOTICE: BL2: dst=0xe631a208 src=0x8180000 len=512(0x200) NOTICE: BL2: dst=0x43f00000 src=0x8180400 len=6144(0x1800) NOTICE: BL2: dst=0x44000000 src=0x81c0000 len=65536(0x10000) NOTICE: BL2: dst=0x44100000 src=0x8200000 len=524288(0x80000) NOTICE: BL2: dst=0x50000000 src=0x8640000 len=1048576(0x100000)
U-Boot 2015.04 (Sep 23 2016 - 18:54:42)
CPU: Renesas Electronics R8A7795 rev 1.1 Board: H3ULCB I2C: ready DRAM: 3.9 GiB MMC: sh-sdhi: 0, sh-sdhi: 1 In: serial Out: serial Err: serial Net: ravb Hit any key to stop autoboot: 3
Quickly hit any key to get into U-boot command prompt. Use SW9 ("Reset") to reboot the board when necessary.
You should see the following:
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0 =>
Change/update MAC address for Ethernet interface
In U-boot command line type:
=> setenv ethact ravb => setenv ethaddr aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff => saveenv
The original (board default) MAC address can be found on the label on top of RJ45 connector.
A user who purchased H3SK board must set the above by himself.
Configure U-Boot to boot over TFTP + NFS or from a micro SD card
Refer to Yocto page for steps necessary for running Yocto.
Use a micro-USB cable to connect to "Debug Serial-0" (CN10 for ws1.0, CN12 for ws1.1/ws2.0). Serial settings are 115200 8N1.
* Kernel config: defconfig * Kernel image: arch/arm64/boot/Image * DTB (ws2.0): arch/arm64/boot/dts/renesas/r8a7795-h3ulcb.dtb * DTB (ws1.0/ws1.1): arch/arm64/boot/dts/renesas/r8a7795-es1-h3ulcb.dtb
U-Boot boot command:
tftpboot 0x48080000 Image tftpboot 0x48000000 r8a7795-h3ulcb.dtb booti 0x48080000 - 0x48000000
NOTE: ws2.0 silicon is supported since BSP2.19
In case of DDR 4GiB board
|Filename||Program Top Address||Flash Save Address||Description|
|bl31-h3ulcb.srec||0x44000000||0x1C0000||ARM Trusted Firmware|
|[Yocto v2.23, v3.4, v3.6, v3.7 and v3.9] u-boot-elf.srec||0x50000000||0x640000||U-Boot|
|[Yocto v3.13] u-boot-elf-h3ulcb.srec||0x50000000||0x640000||U-Boot|
In case of DDR 8GiB board
|Filename||Program Top Address||Flash Save Address||Description|
|bl31-h3ulcb-4x2g.srec||0x44000000||0x1C0000||ARM Trusted Firmware|
- Power off the board
- Set SW and JP as follows:
- Power on the board
- Change SW as follows:
- Flash bootparam_sa0.srec. In console execute xls2 command (load program to hyper flash) and provide the following inputs:
- Flash bl2-h3ulcb.srec. In console execute xls2 command (load program to hyper flash) and provide the following inputs:
- Flash cert_header_sa6.srec. In console execute xls2 command (load program to hyper flash) and provide the following inputs:
- Flash bl31-h3ulcb.srec. In console execute xls2 command (load program to hyper flash) and provide the following inputs:
- Flash tee-h3ulcb.srec. In console execute xls2 command (load program to hyper flash) and provide the following inputs:
- Flash u-boot-elf.srec. In console execute xls2 command (load program to hyper flash) and provide the following inputs:
- Reset the board
SW1=OFF ws1.0: SW6[all]=OFF ws1.1/ws2.0: SW6=ON, SW6=ON, SW6=OFF, SW6=ON JP1 -> 1-2 short
Press SW8 Minimonitor starts and provides prompts on console
SW1=ON ws1.0: SW6=ON ws1.1: SW6=OFF, SW6=ON ws2.0: SW6=ON
3 y e6320000 0 type "ctrl+A S" and select upload method "ascii", then choose file for uploading "bootparam_sa0.srec", after upload finished press any key y
3 y e6304000 (e6302000 if using Yocto BSP versions v2.12 and v2.16) 40000 type "ctrl+A S" and select upload method "ascii", then choose file for uploading "bl2-h3ulcb.srec", after upload finished press any key y
3 y e6320000 180000 type "ctrl+A S" and select upload method "ascii", then choose file for uploading "cert_header_sa6.srec", after upload finished press any key y
3 y 44000000 1C0000 type "ctrl+A S" and select upload method "ascii", then choose file for uploading "bl31-h3ulcb.srec", after upload finished press any key y
3 y 44100000 200000 type "ctrl+A S" and select upload method "ascii", then choose file for uploading "tee-h3ulcb.srec", after upload finished press any key y
3 y 50000000 (49000000 if using Yocto BSP version v2.12) 640000 type "ctrl+A S" and select upload method "ascii", then choose file for uploading "u-boot-elf.srec", after upload finished press any key y
- Some H3 v2.0 SK(RTP0RC77951SKBX010SA00) have been confirmed to freeze the system (Ex. Yocto v2.23.1, v3.4.0, v3.6.0 and v3.7.0).
If it stops please update to Yocto v3.9.0 or later.
Yocto v3.4 and later don't support H3 v1.1 Starter Kit (RTP0RC7795SKBX0010SA00).
Please use the H3 v2.0 SK.
RTP0RC77951SKBX010SA03 board with 8GB DDR will be supported around November.
If you already have this board please apply following patch to Yocto v3.9.0.
<How to build>
1-1. after "step 3" of the above link
cd $WORK/meta-renesas patch -p1 < /PATH/yocto390-h3-8gbddr-sk.patch
1-2. after "step 10"
Edit local.conf and select the board type
Board type name H3_OPTIOM RTP0RC77951SKBX010SA03 1 (default) RTP0RC77951SKBX010SA00, RTP0RC77951SKBX010SA01 0
1-3. after "step 11(12, 13)"
You can find new dtb file.
If you change "H3_OPTION", please clean before building. Ex) # vi ./conf/local.conf # bitbake -c cleanall arm-trusted-firmware # bitbake arm-trusted-firmware